Sunday, June 16, 2013

What's my favorite?

I've always loved photography, I've always loved having a camera in my hands, listening to the sound of the shutter and capturing life as I was seeing it. I love old....old buildings, broken furniture, car parts, things falling apart, even old cemeteries.  So old was often my subject.  I still like to incorporate that into my portraits whenever I can. I'll be honest, when I would envision photography as a job, it wasn't as a portrait photographer, it was a wildlife & fine art photographer.
But then I had kids and I enrolled in the New York Institute of Photography and people began to become a regular part of my photography. Today, I love being a portrait photographer. I love meeting people and in a short period of time make them comfortable enough that I'm able to capture their personality and their true self.
So now that I have embraced and love doing portraits, there are so many categories...family, children, newborns, maternity, engagements, boudoir, weddings, seniors. I'm pretty new to this very saturated market of photography and I love working with all sorts of categories of portraits. Each one brings a different challenge and allows for different creativity.
 I see myself evolving into a more narrow field as I grow my business. I haven't decided what yet, and I don't know if I will decide or if it will just happen. But the one thing I know is that it will include Senior Portraits. I LOVE Seniors! I think Senior Portraits are such an important part of life, a sort of rite of passage. Both the Senior and their parents will go back to their portraits for many years to come. I just helped my dad create his "kid" wall at his home and he incorporated all of our Senior Portraits....we are talking portraits from 10 years to 30 years ago! But it was interesting to me to watch my dad's pride when looking at those portraits and then adding  our accomplishments since then.
I really enjoy working with both the parents and the kids during the pre consultations and through the shoots. It's fun to listen to them and hear what is important to mom and dad and what's important to the kids. Then finding a way to incorporate those both into their portraits.
I had two Senior Models this year, Dani and Sadie and they both have been so great to work with! We did some fairly early so I could get some advertising out. Just a couple weeks ago Dani and did some softball portraits and tomorrow Sadie and I will work together again! Here are some of the portraits from our sessions! I have 2 more Senior sessions this week and I'm giddy with excitement!


No comments:

Post a Comment