Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Some Tips for your Senior Session

It was 1997, clothed in flannel shirts and jeans, dark lipstick and eggplant colored hair,  handmade hemp necklaces or chokers tight against my neck. A member of my school's Amnesty International, I was Winona LaDuke (VP candidate for the Green Party) in our mock election, a gymnast on our High School team. I took Art and Math at the High School and then headed over to Bowling Green State University for college classes each afternoon. I spent a lot of extra time in the art room that year. I couldn't wait to get out of my hometown and head to Athens, Ohio where I'd study at Ohio University. For me, my Senior Year couldn't go fast enough. 
A couple of my Senior Pictures from 1997

Looking back, I wish I'd soaked up the time a little bit more; been less focused on a boyfriend and enjoyed the moment a little more rather than counting down the minutes before it was over. 
Maybe that's why Senior Portraits are my favorites to shoot, I often find myself telling my Seniors to enjoy it, that real life comes so quickly after High School and the years start to fly by. I also just really enjoy this age, they  know who they are, expressing their ideas, opinions and pushing so hard into that independent stage. Yet they still turn to mom and dad quite often. 

I enjoy watching the dynamic between parents and kids during each Senior Session.  Some parents put it all in their child's hands and let them take the lead for their pictures and sometimes parents have some very definite expectations and ideas. It's in these situations that I push a bit to let my senior's voice be heard. I feel very strongly that when I present my clients with their gallery that they look at them and think, "yes, that's me, as I am, right now" 

I think I'm passionate about my capturing my clients as they are now because I'm not a huge fan of my Senior Portraits or the experience (sorry mom). I went to a local, traditional studio in my hometown. I had a few outfits, non that I loved. I remember hating my hair that day....it was usually up in a ponytail or a bandana. I had wanted my pictures outside and I can't remember why that didn't happen. But to this day, I still want them outside! I don't see the me described above in my senior pictures. I kinda wish I had one of me in my Phish T-shirt and outside in a field. So my goal is to make sure both Senior and their parents get what they want, so here's what I want you to think about when you are planning your senior session. 

An example of an Urban Location - Dillon Montana 
When it comes to location, is there a place that is special to you? Where you've spent a lot of time during your high school years?  I've photographed Seniors at their ranches with their animals, the football field, the basketball gym, the local bridge where summers are spent jumping into the river, camping spots where childhoods were spent and recently the public library.  You can also go with a specific look you'd like, whether it's an urban shoot, in the mountains, by a river or a field of wildflowers. Don't count out studio shots as well, they don't have to be the super posed and formal shots from my days of Senior portraits! 
Studio Portraits don't have to be 1997 Style
Rainbows not guaranteed. 
Go somewhere that you love. 
Another example of a Studio Shot


Don't be afraid to add accessories like hats
What to wear. This is never easy, I dread picking out outfits for myself for pictures, so I feel your pain. Again, I stress you want your pictures to be you. Don't pick outfits that you wouldn't normally wear, if it's completely out of your comfort zone it will show. I encourage you to have at least two outfits with some of my packages having 4 outfits. Ladies: mix it up; dress, jeans with a couple different shirt options, and shoe options. Pick out clothing that fits well and that the proper undergarments are worn. You won't want pictures with your bra straps showing and well, if I have to edit them out, I'm going to have to charge you more! Neither of us wants that.  
It's ok to dress it up just a bit, guys! 

























Guys: I know you don't care and just want to be casual and that's ok. T-shirts are fine with me if that's you, but I'd really like you to have one more nicer shirt for at least a few shots and mom will too! 
 
A couple more tips - mostly for the ladies - make sure your nails are manicured. They don't have to be painted but if you have paint chips on them, again, I'll have to edit them out and charge you more. Accessories/jewelry - if you love jewelry and wear a lot of it, bring several options. As long as it doesn't overtake the outfit or you we'll use it! 
Make up - You can go just a tad bit heavier on the make up but not crazy. I want you to look like you. Make sure your foundation is the correct color for your skin tone. 
And this last one, yes I have to say this because it has happened. Please do not show up with your arms and hands covered in marker drawings and sayings...just please, don't! 

Finally, lets talk props. They are not a necessity to your session but if you have something you'd like to include by all means, we can! Horses, dogs, your favorite book, sports equipment, your car....I've done it all! It can be obvious or also subtle! We'll do several different poses with props. 







And to send you off, on the left is my Senior Picture, on the right, normal me as a Senior.....









No comments:

Post a Comment